North Star Marketing is looking for a WordPress Developer to join our development and support team. The developer we are looking for will be responsible for developing WordPress-based themes and plugins primarily using PHP, CSS and HTML, configuring content management interfaces within WordPress, and entering complex content in Gutenberg or other page builders. The development will include off-the-shelf theme configuration and extension as well as custom theme development. In addition, the developer will support internal team members and external clients with website questions and needs.
The position is best suited for a candidate that has intermediate to advanced experience in WordPress and general website development. Candidates should have a good technical acumen to be able to learn concepts quickly and be well-suited to discuss and assist with others with strong written and verbal communication skills.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Create new WordPress themes and edit or configure current themes.
- Implement a development project from inception to launch.
- Test solutions across multiple browsers and platforms in a local testing environment.
- Leverage WordPress APIs (Actions and Filters) and extend the WordPress admin experience.
- Assist in the remediation, enhancement, and maintenance of client sites.
- Solve team member and client challenges with understanding and empathy.
- Provide insight info and implementation of the platform and related products related to
Experience and Education
- BS/BA preferred
- 3+ years experience of concentrated WordPress usage in theme development and configuration including working with the Gutenberg editor.
- Ability to clearly communicate with peers and clients (verbal and written) about complex ideas in simple ways.
- Experience with Git and preferably GitHub.
- The ability to set up a local environment for development and testing. We use Local by Flywheel.
- Exceptionally creative problem-solver.
- Knowledge of CSS preprocessors and front-end build systems. We use Webpack and SCSS.
Nice to Have
- More advanced interactive animation skills.
- Plugin development experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with meeting WCAG 2.1 standards.
- Evidence of contribution to the broader web development community.
- Experience with Object-Oriented Programming and RESTful APIs.
Examples of Work
- Participating in development of a new website with a cross-functional team
- Creating a new feature for a North Star plugin or theme
- Creating a video for how to add a new user in WordPress
- Troubleshooting a client’s support request
- Assisting a marketing manager with questions about a client’s site
- Working with Git, local development and tools (Local by Flywheel, PHPloy)
- Adding scrolling testimonials to a current website home page
- Changing the style and layout of a photo gallery
Summary of Approximate Time Allocation
|Task||Description||% of Time|
|Development on New and Existing Codebases|
Creating new themes and plugins. Updating and maintaining current website themes and plugins.
|Client and Internal Support||Assisting both internal and external clients with questions and tasks related to managed websites.||30%|
|General Administration||Time-keeping, internal meetings, etc.||10%|